One of the star Chinese badminton players disqualified from the Olympics for throwing a match has announced she is quitting the sport, saying her dreams had been "heartlessly shattered"
"This is my last time competing. Goodbye Badminton World Federation, goodbye my beloved badminton,'' Yu Yang said on her Weibo, or microblog, late Wednesday.
"You have heartlessly shattered our dreams. It is just unforgiveable.''
Yu, 26, and her partner Wang Xiaoli were disqualified by the Badminton World Federation for "not using one's best efforts to win a match'' -- an incident that sparked anger among Chinese sports fans.
The scandal has been one of the most talked-about subjects on China's Twitter-like microblogs, with many fans calling it a "humiliation'' for the national team.
The Badminton World Federation also disqualified two South Korean pairs and one Indonesian duo for trying to lose their first-round games to secure better standing for the following knockout round.
Crowds booed their lacklustre performances on Tuesday as they appeared to deliberately hit the shuttlecock into the net or out of bounds.
The disqualification of the eight players meant Australia's Renuga Veeran and Leanne Choo were rushed back into the competition despite being defeated in their third game on Monday.
Thrown back into action within hours of the disqualifications being handed down, the Australian pair lost 21-9 18-21 21-18 to Canada's Alex Bruce and Michele Li.
Australian team coach Lasse Bundgaard complained to the sports governing body and urged it to take action after farcical scenes on the badminton courts at Wembley on Tuesday night when China's top seeds blatantly played to lose against a Korean pair, who then also appeared to stop trying.
Players in two matches were booed off court by disgusted spectators after they appeared to deliberately serve into the net or hit the shuttlecock long or wide.
It seemed to be an attempt to manipulate the final standings in the first-round group stage with two pairs who had already qualified from the group stage jockeying to play weaker opponents.
Badminton's international body was notified at the time and called an emergency early morning meeting that dragged on until after midday in London (9pm AEST), sparking speculation that delegates were split over whether to disqualify the charged players.
After the eight players were disqualified, they immediately lodged a protest.
Australian Olympic Committe deputy Chef de Mission Kitty Chiller said Bundgaard lodged the complaint to protect the integrity of the sport.
"I think it was clear or potentially clear from the matches that there had been some possibility of tanking, of the athletes not trying," Chiller said.
"Lasse lodged a protest. He didn't do that in order for Australia to progress in any way, shape or form. He genuinely feels it was very important for the integrity of the sport to lodge that protest. He cares about the sport."